Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Ranking the 2011 Academy Award Nominees

OK, so I'm a little late with this.

I finally saw the last of the nominees in June. Here's my list, top to bottom, of the Best Picture nominees, with the Best Animated Feature nominees folded in:

1. True Grit
Wonderful atmosphere, wonderful dialogue, wonderful performances. Makes me want to read the book.

2. The King's Speech
Charming, inspirational story. The critics who looked down on this as too middlebrow are bozos.

3. Black Swan
A totally insane melodrama. Crazy fun.

4. The Kids Are All Right
A smart, modern comedy.

5. The Illusionist
Beautiful animation, sad story.

6. How to Train Your Dragon
Cheerful story, better-than-average animation.

7. The Fighter
That's one nutty family.

8. Winter's Bone
Probably I am underrating this slow-moving Southern Gothic. The performances were very good.

9. 127 Hours
Proof that the Danny Boyle circus can perform anywhere.

10. The Social Network
The fad movie of the year, though still a good one.

11. Toy Story 3
The cords of manipulation are wearing through the fading fabric of this franchise. Even so, I liked the film.

12. Inception
Didn't hate it, but this one was way too clever for its own good.


Of course this list is just an excuse to mention, by the way, that my movie blog has moved; it's now at http://secondchancecinema.wordpress.com. I even classed the joint up with a movie index.

No comments:

Post a Comment